Wednesday, August 30, 2023

What I am learning...

 Like I mentioned in my last post I'm currently reading the book of Luke. I'm struck dumbfounded by chapter 12:13-34. The fact that you can store up empty treasures here on earth and not in heaven is scary. Do I do this? Yes, I store up treasures here on earth. Instead I need to work on storing up treasures in heaven, my home. But Jesus goes further by saying "Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts that do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys."

Then there is the part of the hidden treasure parable in Matthew 13:44 "The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid it again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field." Wow, all that he has! He kept nothing back. I want to be like this man, I want to hold nothing back for my joy of the kingdom. Do I do this?  No, on the contrary I have a ton of stuff, and then more stuff. 

If I was asked today to give up everything that I own, would I give it up?  All of those memories, all of those desires to own this or that...

But that's the point.  

We don't own any of it.  

We're just stewards of this stuff.  None of this belongs to us.  

I don't even know if my brain can conceive of this, giving up everything. What would it be like? Let's say for modesty that you had the clothing on your back, but then nothing. No house, no books, no movies, no electronics, no craft supplies, no anything. Just the clothes on your back, and this amazing treasure, that you, simply put, can't live without. What would it be like? You wouldn't have to worry about thieves or moths, you wouldn't be worried about having not enough space to hold this or that.

But what about food? The Bible says not to worry about such things, but it doesn't mean that you'll have good, tasty food, or even three square meals a day, or even food for that day. And what about water?, we're not supposed to worry about that too. But that doesn't mean that we'll have fresh, clean water., let alone icy cold on those hot summer days. And are we promised enough to quench our thirst, what if we get just barely enough to survive? 

These are things that could happen.  

But we must keep in mind a few things; that whatever you experience in life will all be worth it in the end. God is a loving and caring God, even when whatever you're going through doesn't feel loving or good. Always remember that He has your best interests in mind.

What is at the end of the line?  Life with Jesus! Heaven is our home. There will be no more sadness, no more tears. No more sickness, no more death. No more sin, no more of the curse.

I'm the type of personality to have a plan, in fact all day long I ask `what's the plan?' or `What are we going to do next?', I'm also the type of person to have a bag packed for this or that situation, a notepad full of lists if this or that outcome happens. But to have no bag because you don't have anything to put in it?  What would that be like? And being the type to need to have a plan makes trusting God hard, so I need to work on that constantly.

The very thought of giving up everything that I own is frightening, crazy to the typical person, but also exhilarating at the same time.  To not be tied down with owning any junk, but also to not have that as extra security. 

What would it be like?

I hope that you enjoyed this post,

KARA